Making Valentine cards

 

The blogs and websites I read are full of ideas for Valentines Day.  Though we don’t mark the occasion with anything like as much enthusiasm as some seem to do, a card or two is normally sent, especially to friends of the smaller variety.  I don’t think my idea is new or original in any way, but in the spirit of sharing, this is what I’ve done this year.

 

DSC08931

 

I found a bag of tiny cards and envelopes in the stash.  Dated 2001, I have no idea if such things are still available, though actually, they’d be a cinch to replicate.

To give an idea of size, I’m working on a cutting mat with a one inch grid.

 

DSC08932

 

They’re just over a square inch when folded.

 

DSC08933

 

I’ve used patterned origami paper which is plain on the other side.

 

DSC08934

 

Folded in half.

 

DSC08935

 

Opened, turned over and folded in half again, along the diagonal.

 

DSC08936

 

Opened and repeated the fold along the other diagonal.

 

DSC08937

 

Then I made that origami fold which creates a triangle, with sides folded in.

 

DSC08938

 

I drew and cut a heart shape using the centre as the bottom point of the heart.

 

DSC08939

 

I tried to get smooth curves by opening the scissors wide and cutting in one smooth cut rather than snip-snip-snip.

 

DSC08940

 

I used a square of my favourite double sided tape on each side of the folded shape to adhere it inside the card.  Stuck one side first

 

DSC08941

 

Then opened up, removed the tape backing and folded the card closed.

 

DSC08942

 

It fitted snugly within the card – perfect.

 

DSC08943

 

Time to write in the greeting.

 

DSC08944

 

There.  But the front looked a little empty and needed something.

 

DSC08945

 

I have only a large rubber stamp but thought those small motifs would fit well.

 

DSC08947 

 

I inked just one motif using a small “catseye” ink pad

 

DSC08946

 

I carefully cleaned excess ink from the adjacent shapes

 

DSC08948

 

Then broke all stamping rules by applying the card to the stamp rather than vice versa.  That made sure I got the motif in the right place.

 

DSC08949

 

Which looked pretty good, I thought.

 

DSC08951

 

Finally, I couldn’t send these little cards in a plain envelope, so tied a ribbon around and glued a small pressed rosebud on the join.

All done – and still a week to go.  That must be a record!

and home by bedtime

and yet…