The answer to finding my mojo
is to spend money on fabric. But then, that could be the answer to so many issues, couldn’t it?
Since we finished Edward’s room, we’ve recognised that there needs to be a bedhead of some description there. The Aerobed is terrific and works perfectly. Both users have reported it super-comfortable and it’s quick and easy to get out and put away. However, a fixed bedhead would look odd when there’s no bed there and having thought about cushions and other solutions, I came up with the idea of making a quilt/wallhanging.
The room is plain white with dark grey curtains and just a flash of colour in a couple of cushions. I took one of them with me to Higgs and Higgs yesterday to choose some fabrics.
At this stage, I had a better idea of what I didn’t want than what I was really looking for. I didn’t want flowers, didn’t want anything too geometric that was going to reveal my inability to piece precisely and was hoping to avoid anything too kitsch. Fortunately, there was a collection of Hemingway fabric there which fitted my brief perfectly.
(Except the price)
Bearing in mind this wasn’t intended to be a work of art (!) but a simple, practical solution, I didn’t dwell too long on design and concept. I drew a few rectangles on a piece of paper, scaled it up to the right proportions and cut a few pieces of fabric.
I’d like to say that the slight wonkiness here and there is simply the single layer of fabric slipping on the wooden floor. But it isn’t. It’s the bit of quirk that comes with a hand made item.